Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How much sin are you willing to accept?







I would like to start this section with an informative report from the United States Food and Drug Administration’s guidelines of purity for a few familiar products which I got from John Ortberg’s books “The Life You’ve Always Wanted” (which I highly recommend):

· Apple butter: If the mold count is 12 percent or more, if it averages 4 rodents hairs per 100 grams or more, if it averages 5 or more whole insects (not counting mites, aphids, or scales insects) per 100 grams, the FDA will pull it from the shelves. Otherwise, it will go right onto your English muffins.
· Coffee beans: (Caffeine addicts beware!) Coffee beans will get withdrawn from the market if an average of 10 percent of more are insect-infested of if there is one live insect in each of 2 or more immediate containers. (The FDA says people just don’t like getting too many live insects with their coffee beans – one container is okay, but with more than that we draw the line).
· Mushrooms: Mushrooms can’t be sold if there is an average of 20 or more maggots of any size per 15 grams of dried mushrooms.
· Fig paste: If there are more than 13 insects heads per 100 grams of fig paste in each of 2 or more subsamples, the FDA ruthlessly tosses the whole batch. (Apparently other insects body parts are tolerable, but we do not want to be staring at too many insect heads).
· Hot dogs: You do not want to know about it.

If anything is really good, we long for it to exist in its pure form: oxygen without exhaust fumes; snow unmixed with slush. This holds true of people we know. Purity is a word greatly prized in the New Testament. Unfortunately, in our day it has been largely lost. It sounds quaint, Victorian, prudish, bloodless. It sounds as if a person isn’t fully human, when actually God’s call for us to be pure is precisely his call for us to be purely human – humanity is as he intended it to be, uncontaminated by sin.

Made me think about how much sin I am willing to accept in my life. Hmmm…..

6 Comments:

At March 20, 2007 at 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I did! I wanted a pic with my family for a little change. I commented on Angie's blog about your blog, 'cause, well, just 'cause. Thanks for letting her blog so much. She's my wonderfulest newest blogger friend *smile*.

Very very nice blog site, btw. I'm a NOBODY when it comes to knowing what makes up a good blog, but it looks nice. Blessings in your ministry!!

I was at your place once with JBerry and Mike Jung and some other people. I only found one picture . . . and neither me nor Angie is in it. We must have been taking the picture, ha!

 
At March 21, 2007 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Angie Washington said...

DaRonn you hit another home run. Why is it that we try to justify our own allowances yet put such an emculate standard upon others?

 
At March 21, 2007 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist @ngie's invitation to view your blog- and I enjoyed reading your thoughts... and I just dumped out my cup of coffee!

 
At March 21, 2007 at 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the bug blog. But from a filipino who's eaten way worse than the stuff you wrote about, I'm enjoying my dunkin donuts coffee right now.
And about sin conntamination, yeah I'm with you, there's a lot out there disquised as entertainment and fun. You just have to be very careful :-)

 
At March 22, 2007 at 9:36 PM , Blogger danielle said...

ewww...
some challenging thoughts

 
At March 22, 2007 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

DaRonn, this made my skin crawl, yucky.
But as for sin, i would propose that God has exceeding patience with sin. he lovingly sifts it out of us (or burns it out of us). With me he seams to focus on one or two issues at a time before he moves on to others. the project will never be over it seams. i am so greatful for His patience.
i just hope i can show the same patience with my fellow man. and remember that we are all under construction.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home